free web page hit counter
Horners' Odyssey: Eavesdropping discretion advised

Friday, April 20, 2007

Eavesdropping discretion advised

S hung out with the some of the Charlestown mothers again today.

There are 2 topics that new mothers seem to absolutely relish discussing - but never, ever, in any other social groups.

Without fail, they always come up.

They are certainly not the sort of topics anyone else would want to overhear..... especially in a restaurant.

Which is where S and the other mothers were today.

These 2 topics are :

1. How many bra sizes one went up during pregnancy (a sort of inverse competition, to see who got closest to the Thora Hird look)

This naturally leads on to how much nursing bras are universally despised for their ugliness, and what vengeance has been taken on them once they are no longer needed e.g. 'I cut mine up and buried the bits in the garden' ..... 'Oh really? I burned mine'

2. And the inevitable account of the birth. Mums really love this one. It usually turns into a weird competition to see whose had the most gruelling time, e.g. 'The epidural fell out 15 times and then it only worked down one side'.......
'That's NOTHING. My waters broke in the supermarket. I had to smash a jar of pickles on the floor and pretend I dropped it.'




S felt very sorry for the other restaurant patrons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home